- Personal and family counselling
- Direct assistance, referrals and follow-up
- Self-help, support groups facilitated by a social worker
- Youth group founded to improve patients’ self-esteem
- Financial assistance to families who qualify
- Direct assistance for transportation and medical supplies (purchases and rentals)
- Food gift certificates at Thanksgiving, Christmas and special occasions
The sickle cell program at the University of Miami attempts to provide a multifaceted social services program to help patients feel confident about themselves and their future, to help family members lessen the impact of this chronic disease, and to resolve any problems that may prevent patients from taking advantage of treatment opportunities.